PC/BZA Agenda
Regulations & Zoning
Permits and Applications
Floodplain Info
Frequently Asked Questions

300 Walnut Street, Suite 212
Leavenworth, KS 66048

Main Office: (913) 684-0465
Fax: (913) 684-0398

The Leavenworth County Planning and Zoning department exists to create and maintain a desirable quality of life for all residents, protect our common environments, and to promote public health, safety, and welfare. This is achieved through the enforcement of the Zoning & Subdivision Regulations and the policies set forth in the Comprehensive Plan. GIS mapping services are provided to the public via the interactive county wide map as well as offering individual mapping services and database maintenance.

Sajiv (Jeff) JosephDirector
Krystal VothDeputy Director
Stephanie SloopPublic Relations and Planning Coordinator
Melissa JohnsonCode Enforcement Officer II
Bruce (Wade) CobbEnvironmental Technician
Tyler WehrGIS Analyst


  • Building Permits - Processing time of 48 hours after complete application submission
  • Wastewater System Permits (Septic Systems)
  • Sign Permits
  • Special Use Permits
  • Temporary Special Use Permits
  • Floodplain Administration
  • Development Consultation: Subdivision Plats, Tract & Lot Splits, Boundary Line Adjustment
  • Open Records Requests
  • Deed Research for Status of Parcel Letters - Processing time subject to staff availability/resources
  • Variances


  • Radius Searches (list of property owners within a given radius of a parcel).
  • Maps built upon request of any combination of map layers available to the county.
  • Mapping Legal Descriptions.
  • Custom databases and reports built from unique criteria.
  • Historical map archive including layers such as old wagon trails, cemeteries, circa 1870 school houses, abandoned railroads, etc.
  • Specific wall maps such as land owners, school districts, flood maps, land use, etc.
  • Aerial photos showing right-of-way, property lines, creeks and ponds, buildings, flood zones, elevation, soil types, land use, etc.


PLANNING AND ZONING STAFF function as advisors to the Planning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Board of County Commissioners on issues pertaining to land use. These matters include; subdividing property, enforcement of the regulations, investigation of violations and complaints, issuance of special use permits, determination of legal non-conforming uses, variances from the regulations, rezoning requests and any other land use question that may come before these bodies.

  • Staff the Planning Commission
  • Report to the Board of County Commissioners on Land Use Matters
  • Provide Long Range Land Use Planning
  • Administer the Zoning & Subdivision Regulations
  • Administer the Sanitary Code
  • Administer the Floodplain Development Regulations

THE PLANNING COMMISSION is a recommending body made up of volunteers (State statute). They review proposed changes in land use to ensure they conform to the Zoning & Subdivision Regulations and the goals, policies and objectives of the Comprehensive Plan. The Planning Commission then submits a recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) concerning the approval of said applications. The Planning Commission has the ability to approve preliminary plats, but final plats are approved by the BOCC.

THE BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS (BZA) is a quasi-judicial body also made up of volunteers. The BZA considers requests for variances from the regulations and arbitrates when decisions made by staff in the interpretation of the regulations are questioned. The BZA's decisions must be firmly backed by finding of facts and detailed reasoning. The decision from the BZA is final and may only be appealed to the District Court.

THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS (BOCC) is quasi-judicial and is the governing body for the County. They make final decisions concerning land use other than the variances and appeals handled by the Board of Zoning Appeals. The decisions of the BOCC may also be appealed to the District Court.