LEAVENWORTH COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Paramedic - Kansas Certified
PAY LEVEL: (starting 17.50/hr. - $58,250), (yr. 2 - 18.50/hr. - 61,568) (yr. 3 - 19.54/hr. - $65,029)
SUPERVISOR: EMS Shift Officer
PERCENTAGE OF TIME ACCOUNTABILITIES
10% 6. Special Assignments
Under the supervision of a shift officer, the Paramedic provides highly skilled, specialized emergency medical care to injured and sick patients including advanced life support; the employee in this position responds to ambulance calls, renders medical assistance and transports patients to the proper facility. Work follows prescribed policies and procedures and is supervised by an officer.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: (*Required prior to employment)
- Ability to analyze field scenes and determine appropriate actions
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and prepare accurate reports
- Ability to conduct quality assistance audits
- Possess hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to use medical equipment,
- Negotiate rough terrain at emergency scenes and maintain balance when lifting
- Ability to hear alarm when sleeping at night
- Ability to operate a modular ambulance safely and in accordance with traffic laws and departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to talk and hear in person and by telephone and two-way radio
- Ability to see and read instructions and evaluate conditions at accident scene including injuries of patients
- Ability to use sense of smell at accident scenes and sense of touch in assessing condition of patients
- Ability to remain calm at accident scene
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of County Personnel Rules.
- Knowledge of form requirements, county policies and departmental policies
- Knowledge of approved medical protocols
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive relationships with county officials, administration, fellow employees, patients, family members, other public services, hospital staff, and the public.
- Appears in court to provide testimony when required
ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS (This is not an inclusive list. Other tasks/duties may be assigned.)
- Responds to ambulance calls and assists in providing emergency medical treatment.
- Performs CPR, dresses and manages wounds, splints fractures and administers oxygen.
- Ability to make decisions determining the dosage of fluids and medications to administer to patients, heart counter, shock and IV selection;
- Transports patients to proper facility; assists shift officer in review of medical procedures and protocol; prepares reports on patient’s condition.
- Operates an ambulance under non-emergent and emergent conditions.
- Rescues persons trapped by accident or fire situations
- Responds to full variety of emergencies
- Assists shift officer in long and short term plans regarding medical standards and ambulance services.
- Maintains the station house and equipment; stocks the ambulance with supplies
- Participates in training sessions and may assist in training of new personnel
- Assists with public education programs
- Subject to call back on days off.
Work is performed in all levels of environment to include, at times, unstable work environments.
Must have High School Diploma/GED or equivalent, Associate’s degree preferred. Possession and retention of a valid Kansas State driver's license. Current Certification as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (KS State certification preferred), with one year experience with an Advanced Life Support service preferred. The position requires attainment of County Medical Director sponsorship within 60 days of employment and ability to maintain this sponsorship during employment. NIMS Certification / ICS100 & 800; EVOC Certified (may be obtained after hire date).
Vision. Adequate vision to assess patients, scenes, use computer, filing, completion of reports, forms and correspondence.
- Hearing. Ability to hear alarms when sleeping at night, adequately hear in person, by telephone, and two-way radio.
- Speech. Must be able to speak and understand English language clearly to provide detailed information by in person, by telephone, and two-way radio.
- Standing. Ability to stand for long periods of time while at scenes and in stations
- Walking. Ability to negotiate rough terrain at emergency scenes
Sitting. Ability to sit for long periods of time while in a vehicle and in stations
- Lifting/Carrying Minimum 100 pounds – lifting patients and equipment in multiple levels of terrain.
- Pushing/Pulling 100 pounds – Ability to perform heavy physical work
- Climbing/Balancing Required when negotiating stairs, Ability to negotiate rough terrain at emergency scenes
- Stooping/Kneeling Required when retrieving or filing from lower drawers or when retrieving items, office supplies, etc. from the floor.
Reaching/Handling Required on most tasks.
Contact : Contact : mail applications to email@example.com or fax the application to (913) 684-1028.
Applicants may also apply at the Leavenworth Workforce Center, 515 Limit Street, Leavenworth, Kansas 66048.
TO BE CONSIDERED, INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST FILL OUT A COUNTY APPLICATION,
APPLICATIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THE HUMAN RESOURCES PAGE UNDER "APPLY HERE".
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled