LEAVENWORTH COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Emergency Medical Technician - Basic
PAY LEVEL: Level 5
SUPERVISOR: EMS Shift Supervisor
PERCENTAGE OF TIME ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under the supervision of the shift supervisor, the EMT performs general duties of emergency medical service and ambulance service. The EMT performs basic life support skills such as CPR, dressing and managing wounds, splinting fractures, dislocations and sprains, and assisting the Paramedic; performs specialty duties as assigned. Work follows prescribed policies and procedures and is supervised by a superior officer.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: (*Required prior to employment)
- Thorough knowledge of "State of the Art Basic Life Support"
- Ability to analyze field scenes and determine appropriate actions
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and prepare accurate reports
- Ability to conduct quality assistance audits
- Possess hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to use medical equipment
- negotiate rough terrain at emergency scenes and maintain balance when lifting
- Ability to hear alarm when sleeping at night
- Ability to operate a modular ambulance safely and in accordance with traffic laws and departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to talk and hear in person and by telephone and two-way radio
- Ability to see and read instructions and evaluate conditions at accident scene including injuries of patients
- Ability to use sense of smell at accident scenes and sense of touch in assessing condition of patients
- Ability to remain calm at accident scene
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of County Personnel Rules.
- Knowledge of form requirements, county policies and departmental policies.
- Knowledge of approved medical protocols.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive relationships with county officials, administration, fellow employees, patients, family members, other public services, hospital staff, and the public.
ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS (This is not an inclusive list, other tasks/duties may be assigned.)
- Responds to ambulance calls and assists in providing emergency medical treatment.
- Performs CPR, dresses and manages wounds, splints fractures and administers oxygen.
- Transports patients to proper facility; assists supervisor in review of medical procedures and protocol; prepares reports on patient’s condition.
- Drives an ambulance.
- Rescues persons trapped by accident or fire situations.
- Responds to full variety of Emergencies.
- Maintains the station house and equipment; stocks the ambulance with supplies.
- Participates in training sessions and may assist in training of new personnel.
- Assists with public education programs.
- Subject to call back on days off.
Work is performed in all levels of environment to include, at times, unstable work environments.
- Must have High School Diploma/GED, Associate’s degree preferred and preferred one year EMT experience. Possession and retention of a valid Kansas driver's license. Kansas State Certification as Emergency Medical Technician (Basic). Position requires attainment of County Medical Director sponsorship within 60 days of employment and ability to continue to maintain this sponsorship during employment by attaining and maintaining a minimum of 80% on protocol testing. NIMS Certification / ICS coursework, EVOC Certified.
- Adequate vision to assess patients, scenes, use computer, filing, completion of reports, forms and correspondence.
- Ability to hear alarms when sleeping at night, adequately hear in person, by telephone, and two-way radio.
- Must be able to speak and understand English language clearly to provide detailed information by in person, by telephone, and two-way radio.
ADA/PHYSICAL DEMANDS - Continued
Contact : Email applications to email@example.com or fax the application to (913) 684-1028.
Applicants may also apply at the Leavenworth Workforce Center, 515 Limit Street, Leavenworth, Kansas 66048.
TO BE CONSIDERED, INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST FILL OUT A COUNTY APPLICATION,
APPLICATIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THE HUMAN RESOURCES PAGE UNDER "APPLY HERE".
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled