Buy / Sell

Buying / Selling a Vehicle

Transferring Ownership

When a vehicle's ownership is transferred from one person to another, the back of the old title form must be completed and properly assigned before licensing can take place. If a lien is shown, a properly signed/notarized release of lien is required. If there is no lien on the vehicle you will be mailed a new title by the state after you register the vehicle in your name. If a lien is reflected on the title application, the state will hold the title as an E-Title until the lien has been satisfied.

If the ownership is being transferred between immediate, lineal, family members, sales tax is not required and you are liable only for the registration fee and property taxes due on the vehicle. Lineal ascendants or descendants are: grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, son, daughter, adopted child, step child, grandchild, and the spouses of any of these. A brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew does not qualify for this exemption. The signatures of both parties must be on an Affidavit of Relationship (pdf) available in the Treasurer's office.

Special paperwork may be required by state law however, if the transfer is occurring because of death, divorce or marriage. For more information, call the Motor Vehicle Department at 913-684-0430.

Transferring a License Plate

If you are an established resident, you may transfer a valid license plate from an old to a new vehicle for the remainder of your licensing period. To be eligible to make the transfer, you must sell or trade your old vehicle within 60 days of buying the new one. You also must get a 60-day permit from a Kansas motor vehicle dealer or the Leavenworth County Treasurer's office to drive the new vehicle while you are waiting to dispose of the old one.

When making out the paperwork to license your new vehicle, be sure your name is exactly the same as on your old title. If a spouse, son, or daughter is being added, they must be present to sign the application or you must have a power of attorney (pdf) from them. In addition to that paperwork, you need to bring to the Treasurer's office the name of the person to whom you sold the old vehicle, the date it was sold, and the current registration from your old vehicle.

To make the transfer, you must pay a $10.50 transfer fee, a $10 title fee, and any sales tax due. Depending on the year, make, and model of your new vehicle, you also may have to pay an additional property tax. In addition, you may have to pay a supplementary licensing fee if the new vehicle weights more than the old one. For more information call the Leavenworth County Treasurer's office at 913-684-0430..


dotted line Subscribe Now