Motor Vehicle

What are your office hours?
Regular Office Hours
The office is open from 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m Monday thru Friday. The office stops taking title transactions at 4:30 every day and stops Commercial Transactions at 3:00 p.m.
Where are you located?
Leavenworth Courthouse
300 Walnut St
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Tonganoxie Annex
725 Laming Rd
Tonganoxie, KS 66086
Phone: 913-684-0430
Fax: 913-684-0436
Phone: 913-364-5730
Fax: 913-364-5736
8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m Mon-Fri
How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
Title Fees $10.00


Autos less than 4500 pounds  $30.00

Autos over 4500 pounds  $40.00

12M Trucks $40.00

Motorcycles $16.00

Motorbikes $11.00

Hybrid Vehicles $50.00

Electric Vehicle $100.00


2000 - 8000 pounds $35.00

8001 - 12000 pounds $45.00

12001 pounds and over $55.00

a. If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. Our office recommends tagging and titling on initial purchase for proof of ownership. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer's own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer's Office at 913-684.0430.

b. Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the County Treasurer's Office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser's Office.

c. Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual, purchased out of state or the sales tax paid to a dealer was less than the sales tax rate where the vehicle will be registered.

d. Lien holder fee is $1.50.

e. After calculating registration and title fee's you must factor in the property tax for your vehicle. Please use Vehicle Property Tax and Fee Estimator to calculate the  correct property tax.

f. If your vehicle has to be inspected (out of state title) the fee is collected in our office at the time of Registering/Titling - $20.00
Acceptable forms of payment?
We accept Cash, Credit/Debit Cards, Money Order, and Cashiers Check. Please note there is a 2.65% charge for using debit or credit cards.
Do my tags expire on the first or last day of the month?
Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,000 pounds) and trailers, which expire December 31st with a grace period until the last day of February.

Renewal Expiration Chart
What paperwork will I need to register a newly purchased vehicle?

Register a newly purchased Vehicle

  • Title (signed over to you)
    • Kansas, out of state, or Manufactured certificate of origin “MCO”
  • Sales tax Receipt or Bill of sale or Dealer invoice
  • Proof of insurance
  • Kansas Highway Patrol inspection (if out of state)
  • Transferring tag old registration or tag number
  • * Must be done within 60 days of purchase
How do I renew my tags if i didn't receive my renewal notice
If you bring your current registration or tag number with proof of insurance to our office we will be able to process your renewal.

Note: If you did not receive your renewal notice please visit http://mvs.dmv.kdor.ks.gov/PrintRenewals/
I am moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

Out of state registration

  • Out of state title
  • Insurance
  • Inspection (Kansas Highway Patrol)
  • Signature Form (must be signed by all owners on the front of title)
  • Out of state registration
  • Driver’s license

Out of state registration with lien (if title held by lien holder)

  1. Contact lien holder to fax over front and back copy of the title with cover letter to our office. (fax# 913-684-0436)
  2. Contact our office to see if we have received title, once title received you will come pick up the title to get it inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol.
  3. See list above for everything else that will be needed to finish the transaction.
Where can I get my vehicle inspected?


Before registering a vehicle with an out of state title, a vehicle identification inspection is necessary.

The inspection requires the vehicle, the original out of state title, current drivers license and a $20.00 fee. If you do not have the original title, please call the County Treasurer’s office for further instruction. Phone # 913-684-0430. In some cases, a salvage or rebuilt salvage inspections can be done at this location. Please call inspection station. Salvage title inspections are $25.00.


16490 Springdale Rd. Leavenworth KS 66048
KDOT Building west on Spruce St past 20th St. 1/4 mile on the right hand Side (South side of the parking lot)
Phone # 913-651-9655
Open Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 a.m to 12:00 p.m

Atchison County Sheriff’s Dept – 518 Parallel St. Atchison KS 66002
Phone # 913-367-8201 Monday, Wednesday & Friday ONLY
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Johnson County 395 E Dennis, Olathe, KS
Phone # 913-780-6058
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
3101 S. 24TH ST. Kansas City, KS
Phone # 913-677-5276 Fax # 913-403-0339
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.

Douglas County I-70 Business Mall
1035 N 3rd St., Suite 107
Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone # 785-842-4759
Monday Thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Shawnee County 220 SW Gage, Topeka, KS Phone # 785-296-1346
Mon – Fri 8:00a.m. to 4:30p.m
Oskaloosa – 1360 Walnut
Law Enforcement Center
Tuesday only 1:00p.m to 3:00 p.m.



Why aren't my tags good for a full year?
Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is dated until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. 
Do I have to register my vehicle if i am going to sell it?
Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business
I own a business in several counties in Kansas, where do i register my vehicle?
Business vehicles should be registered in the business name in the county where the business is located. Personal vehicles should be registered in the county where the person resides. 
Can I get an extension on my 60-day tag?
No. There are no extensions.
My tag was stolen, what do I do?
You will have to file a police report with the Leavenworth County Police department. Bring the police report case number (usually on a sheriff business card), tag number or registration, and proof of insurance to our office and we will replace the tag.
How do I get a personalized plate?
The price for personalized tags is $46.50, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a Personalized Tag Form.

If you want to see if your personalized plate is currently available please use Personalized Plate Lookup.
Do i have to have a Kansas drivers license if I have a Kansas plate?
Yes. Please contact the Leavenworth DMV at 913-651-6947 to get more information on getting a Kansas drivers license.
What will happen if i have delinquent taxes?
If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid IN THAT COUNTY before vehicles can be tagged.


If you have delinquent taxes in Jefferson County but now live in Leavenworth County, you will have to pay the taxes in Jefferson County before registering your vehicle in Leavenworth County.
Where can I get a Power of Attorney / Lienholder Consent / Bill of Sale?
These tag forms and many others can be found on the Leavenworth County website in the Document Center.
Can I get a refund if I move out of Kansas?
Yes. Please see the Refund Instructions form for more information.
How can I get a refund on my tags if I sold a vehicle?
Bring in the plate, current registration, Social Security # (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or leased vehicles) and we will process your refund.
I am in the military , am I exempt from paying property tax?
Military personnel are usually exempt from paying personal property taxes on their vehicles. To view the exemption qualifications please see the Military Personnel Affidavit
I am in the military but I am a Kansas resident, do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
Kansas military personnel can be exempt on not more than 2 vehicles. See Military Personnel Affidavit for qualifications for exemption. 
I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my spouse's name. Do I have to pay taxes of the vehicle.
No. The service member's spouse is now also eligible to receive the property tax exemption. We must see a current full month LES, orders, and a completed military affidavit.

Exception: If the spouse has anyone besides the current active duty member on the title with her (Brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, ETC) they will have to pay for personal property tax.
Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?
The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, they are the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt
What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?
The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it
Where can I go to renew my disabled placard? Where do I mail it?
This is done at the Leavenworth County Treasurer's Office at 300 Walnut St Suite 105, Leavenworth KS 66048.
What is the Kansas State Parks Passport?
The Kansas State Parks Passport is a way for Kansas residents to buy an annual park permit at a reduced price and with the convenience of buying it when they register their vehicles. The Passport makes it convenient and affordable for Kansans to enjoy our 25 state parks, for families to reconnect with nature and each other, and help preserve the parks for future generations. Families can enjoy a whole year of outdoor fun for less than the cost of treating the family to a night at the movies. Kansas State Parks Passport FAQs


dotted line Subscribe Now