FILING FOR SCHOOL BOARD
ALL CANDIDATES FILING FOR SCHOOL BOARD MUST FILE IN THE OFFICE OF THE COUNTY ELECTION OFFICER.
- Candidates must be a registered voter in the school district and in the member district.
- USD 453 (Leavenworth) and USD 469 (Lansing) elect board members “at large” so candidates must live in the school district.
- USD 449 (Easton), USD 458 (Basehor/Linwood) and USD 464 (Tonganoxie) elect board members by member district. Candidates filing for a “member district” must reside in the “member district.”
- Attach a copy of the candidate’s voter registration card to the filing papers.
- The following forms must be completed:
- Candidate’s Declaration of Intention
- Statement of Substantial Interest – it is due no later than ten days after the filing deadline.
- Affidavit of Exemption from Filing Receipts & Expenditures Reports. If the candidate anticipates receiving or expending $1,000 in the primary election or $1,000 in the general election, this form MAY NOT be used.
- Collect filing fee of $20.00 and write a receipt.
A primary election is required if the number of candidates who filed for an office is more than three times the number of positions to be filed. When, required, the purpose of the primary is to reduce the number of candidates at the general election to no more than two per position. (KSA 25-2021, 25-2108a)